Every once in awhile (sometimes a LONG while) we do something fun at our house and it usually involves the word "Party" (our family theme song: Crazy Frog's "We Like to Party"). Ever since my son read the Percy Jackson series, he has been begging for a Mythology Party. It finally happened yesterday.
HOW TO THROW A MYTHOLOGY PARTY:
* Drape white sheets, blankets and tablecloths all over your living room to represent Mount Olympus
* Talk about how mythology is used by many companies in naming their products: Nike, Ajax, Midas, Saturn & Mercury cars, etc. (I had saved a project from 7th grade on this, quite fascinating).
* Prepare a "Training of the Gods" obstacle course. Of course, the kids are going to want to time this to see who is the fastest, so be prepared for some competition.
* Marshmallows - "The Fruit of the Gods" (??) - Using the BIG ones, have a marshmallow toss. Put the kids in pairs to toss marshmallows into each other's mouths. Expect this to turn into the "War of the Titans"!
* Finally - Decorate "Constellation Cupcakes" - frost the cupcakes and then decorate with mini-chocolate chips (stars).
Maybe not a whole lot of education in there, but a whole lot of fun to INSPIRE the kids to learn more, right?!
P.S. I need more pictures on this blog, I've decided. BUT I keep forgetting to take them. So, for now it's just words and more words! Patience.